Genesis Sixteen Conducting Scholar 2023-24 applications are now open
The scholarship is fully funded and offers young conductors the opportunity to be mentored by conductor Harry Christophers and associate conductor Eamonn Dougan, as well as the chance to work with some of the best young ensemble singers in the country. The scholar is given the chance to observe each course, sing with the choir, lead their own rehearsals, and conduct several pieces in performances throughout the year, including for BBC Radio 3 Broadcast.
To apply for the Genesis Sixteen Conducting Scholarship, you must be:
- aged between 21 and 28 on Sunday 20 August 2023
- be a UK or Republic of Ireland citizen (i.e., possess a British or Irish passport), and be resident in these countries for the duration of the programme
- a postgraduate or graduate who is serious about conducting and has experience of conducting choirs
- passionate about working with voices
- enthusiastic about The Sixteen’s repertoire
- some singing ability is an advantage as we find it beneficial for the scholar to sing with the choir when not conducting
- available for all the following course dates without exception:
Course 1: Oxford
Sunday 20 – Saturday 26 August 2023
Course 2: location tbc
Friday 3 – Sunday 5 November 2023
Course 3: Canterbury
Friday 2 – Sunday 4 February 2024
Course 4: London
Sunday 7 – Saturday 14 July 2024
The Sixteen is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to delivering programmes that promote inclusion and diversity. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds.
To apply, please submit an online application here. Applications can be submitted until 5pm on Friday 2 June 2023. The application must include:
- a link to a video(s) of you conducting a choir in two contrasting pieces. The video(s) must be taken from an angle showing you clearly face on.
- a covering letter-style personal statement with a few brief paragraphs on why you think you would be suited to the scholarship (please limit this to max. 2,000 characters (including spaces)
- a music CV
- contact details for two separate referees that can be contacted directly by Jess, the Genesis Sixteen Manager, should they be required (NB new system to previous years)
If you are successful in gaining an audition, auditions will take place in London on Monday 19 June 2023. To apply and accept your audition, you must be available on this day as we are unable to offer auditions on any other date. Further details about possible auditions will be sent to you after the application deadline has passed.
Please make sure to submit an online application by the deadline stated, and if you have any further questions or queries about the application process or the programme itself, please contact the Genesis Sixteen Manager, Jess Haig, on email@example.com