Applications for the ninth Genesis Sixteen Conducting Scholar are now open.
The scholarship is fully funded and offers young conductors the opportunity to be mentored by conductor Harry Christophers and associate conductor Eamonn Dougan, as well as the chance to work with some of the best young ensemble singers in the country. The scholar is given the chance to observe each course, sing with the choir, lead their own rehearsals, and conduct several pieces throughout the year, including for BBC Radio 3 Broadcast.
To apply for the Genesis Sixteen Conducting Scholarship, you must be:
• aged between 21 and 28 on Monday 22 August 2022
• a UK citizen / resident in the UK for the duration of the programme
• a postgraduate or graduate who is serious about conducting and has experience of conducting choirs
• passionate about working with voices
• enthusiastic about The Sixteen’s repertoire
• some singing ability is an advantage as we find it beneficial for the scholar to sing with the choir when not conducting
• available for all the following course dates without exception:
Course 1: Oxford
Monday 22 – Sunday 28 August 2022
Course 2: Manchester
Friday 4 – Sunday 6 November 2022
Course 3: Cardiff
Friday 17 – Sunday 19 February 2023
Course 4: London
Sunday 9 – Saturday 15 July 2023
The Sixteen is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds.
Applications can be submitted until 5pm on Monday 23 May 2022. To apply, please submit:
• a link to a video(s) of you conducting a choir in two contrasting pieces. The video(s) must be taken from an angle showing you clearly face on.
• a covering letter with a few brief paragraphs on why you think you would be suited to the scholarship – please aim to keep this to one single-sided A4 page
• a music CV
• two references to be sent directly from your chosen referees (not through yourself) to the email address below
If you are successful in gaining an audition following the application process, auditions will take place in London on Tuesday 14 June 2022. To accept your audition, you must be available on this date. Further details about possible auditions will be sent to you after the application deadline has passed.
Please send your application and any enquiries to the Genesis Sixteen Manager, Jess Haig, at email@example.com